The Earshot Jazz Festival gets kicked off in Seattle on October 14th and runs through November 6th. While the full schedule does not get released until September, the early bookings feature a wonderful variety of top tier musicians. Included are:
- Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette – “Very simply, this is jazz at its finest” (Don Heckman, Los Angeles Times). “The trio of Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette is about as good as jazz gets” (Mike Zwerin, International Herald-Tribune). November 1, S. Mark Taper Foundation Auditorium at Benaroya Hall. Tickets for this concert go on sale in mid August through Benaroya Hall at www.BenaroyaHall.org and (206) 215-4747
- Brad Mehldau, solo –The highly regarded jazz genius performs with astounding technique and “almost spiritual resonance” (Time Magazine). October 21, Illsley Ball Nordstrom Recital Hall at Benaroya Hall.
- The Bad Plus– The seminal bad boys of jazz return to ruffle the sedate Town Hall, on a bill with Europe’s iconoclastic Das Kapital. October 29, Town Hall Seattle
- Roosevelt & Mountlake Terrace High School Jazz Bands– An opening concert with the bands that took 2nd and 3rd spots at this year’s Essentially Ellington competition. October 14, Town Hall Seattle
- We Four: Celebrating John Coltrane – New York heavyweights Javon Jackson, sax, Mulgrew Miller, piano, Peter Washington, bass, and Jimmy Cobb, drums, pay tribute to Coltrane’s jazz legacy. (Jimmy Cobb, 82, performed with Coltrane on Miles Davis’s epochal album, Kind of Blue). October 22, Venue TBA
- Evan Flory-Barnes’s Acknowledgement of a Celebration– The Seattle bassist and composer reprises his jazz/rock/classical/hip-hop masterwork. October 22, Kirkland Performance Center
- A series of concerts and educational programs with fresh young artists, jazz masters, and returning Cornish alumni and faculty, featuring Myra Melford, Allison Miller, Julian Waterfall Pollack, Jim Knapp, Jay Clayton, Jerry Granelli, and the Mongolian jazz ensemble Arga Belig. October 24 through 29, Poncho Concert Hall, Cornish College of the Arts
- Grace Kelly group– The emerging but hard hitting saxophonist premieres in Seattle in Tula’s, “one of America’s top 100 jazz clubs.” November 2 & 3, Tula’s
- Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra– “An Evening with Ol’ Blue Eyes: The Music of Frank Sinatra.” November 5, Nordstrom Recital Hall & November 6, Kirkland Performance Center
- and many, many, more
Tickets for the Earshot Jazz Festival will be on sale in early September through Earshot Jazz. Complete concert information will be available as it develops at http://www.earshot.org and 206-547-6763.
2 Replies to “All-Star lineup to be featured at the 2011 Earshot Jazz Festival”
Just waiting to hear when Javon Jackson will be at The Town Hall…
Saturday October 22nd at 8 PM!